Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Post by mom

I have fallen behind in house work and felt a little overwhelmed. Then I read this and it really helped my perspective. Thought I would share:

I Took His Hand and Followed
Mrs. Roy L. Peifer


My dishes went unwashed today,

I didn't make the bed,

I took his hand and followed

Where his eager footsteps led.


Oh yes, we went adventuring,

My little son and I...

Exploring all the great outdoors

Beneath the summer sky


We waded in a crystal stream,

We wandered through a wood...

My kitchen wasn't swept today

But life was gay and good.


We found a cool, sun-dappled glade

And now my small son knows

How Mother Bunny hides her nest,

Where jack-in-the-pulpit grows.


We watched a robin feed her young,

We climbed a sunlit hill...

Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky,

We plucked a daffodil.


That my house was neglected,

That I didn't brush the stairs,

In twenty years, no one on earth

Will know, or even care.


But that I've helped my little boy

To noble manhood grow,

In twenty years, the whole wide world

May look and see and know.

3 comments:

Sarah Bryant said...

That poem is exactly right! I had an older mom tell me recently to enjoy the little moments. When they're grown and gone you can make beds and do dishes. Enjoy your babies while they're still interested in You and Your Time!!!!
Hope everyone is doing well! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Lindsay (aka Linz) said...

This is great! So happy for you and your family, Brooke!

Noah and Carrie said...

Thank you. I needed to read that. My mom gave me a magnet that I display proudly..."a good mother has dirty floors and happy children." What a good reminder of what our job really is.